View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 12:05pm
This IS My Social Life

Caveat Officialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
So if at the end of the fourth quarter with the score tied, coach A gets a technical. Coach B then requests a time out and it is granted. If time out is requested again by either coach before the second technical free throw is taken, it will be denied since the clock never started, however the ball did become live on the first free throw.
Gotta be careful in the situation you cited. With the game tied, that technical is technically still part of the fourth quarter exclusive of any extra period that may or not be necessary, since the results of the free throw would determine the outcome of the game (state test question on that this year). Then, regarding successive time-outs, 5-11-7 says, "Successive time-outs, as in 4-43-2, shall not be granted after the expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period." So, seems to me, Coach B's request shouldn't have been granted if it was requested with the game tied, prior to the time that "the ball has become live to start the extra period(s), ala 5-11-5.
Tricky stuff, techinically.
Am I on the right track with this?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 12:08pm.