View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 10:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Okay, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Freddy, you are understanding it correctly. You summed up my opinion exactly. JugglingReferee, your opinion is very interesting to me...probably more along the lines of what the senior official was thinking. But it makes more sense to me the way you explained it. I'll have to grow into this.
Real Scenerio Related to Me in a Pregame Two Weeks Ago:
Fast break with only one defender to beat. Defender fouls dribbler just after she crosses division line. Partner relating this account said he passed on it, judging that dribbler would be put at disadvantage on subsequent layup which looked like it was gonna be an easy one-on-none attempt by the time she got to the lane. She tanks one off the bottom of the rim. Coach goes ballistic over why the foul wasn't called. Probably wouldn't have said a thing had the layup been successful.
Couldn't go back and call the foul that preceeded the failed attempt. He was stuck.

Only difference between this and the scenerio first expressed was the amount of time in between foul and successful goal. But the condundrum remains the same.

This advantage/disadvantage concept for deciding when to call and not call a foul can be a two-edged sword at times.

Just sayin'...