View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 10:21pm
This IS My Social Life

When the Tower Philosophy Gets a Bit Tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
A1 shoots and misses a 12 footer from the wing. A2 has good, solid inside rebounding position and is pushed from behind by B2 on the rebound. A2 then goes up and makes the bucket AFTER the whistle for the push. Basket is waved off and A2 shoots as A is in the bonus. I am at C and its my whistle for the push. . .
Seems there are two distinct elements here:
#1 Illegal contact on a rebound, then...
#2 A shot that was begun after the ball became dead due to a whistle for #1.

If I understand this correctly, I agree with your call.
Your partner's question in the locker room had the convenient benefit of hindsight, the beneficial aspect of knowing whether or not the subsequent goal was successful.
Back to real time: If, during the contest, you delayed to see if the basket was good and it wasn't, how would you backtrack and award a common foul based on the fact that the shot wasn't successful? You couldn't award a two shot foul, since it occurred before the shot attempt. You're stuck.

Could there be a case for "advantage/disadvantage" here? Perhaps that's what your partner was illuding to. But again, passing on #1 foul would be easy if the goal was successful. The conundrum is what you'd do if it wasn't. Which it wasn't. Therefore you avoided a tough situation by calling what you saw when you saw it.

Am I understanding your scenerio correctly?

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:35pm.