View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 09:45pm
Administrator

Re: Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
IMO ONLY!!!

If one is concerned about liability and repurcussions, you become ineffective as a professional.

Baseball after all, is a GAME. Research the reasoning behind the BESR ratings, or any of the differing rules in this game, and you'll see why a particular rule or "safeguard" was adopted.

It doesn't alter the fact, that baseball is a GAME.

If all participants, officials included, begin the contest with the understanding that folks are there for purposes of amusement only, there is no problem whatsoever.

If everyone on the field agrees that a branch from a tree can be used for a bat, a sewn-together wad of yarn as a baseball, and someone's borrowed purse as a base . . . who are we to say, "We can't PLAY"?

For God's sake . . . let's "Play Ball" and have some FUN!

I'll agree . . . there are SOME coaches (a few) and SOME parents ("little Johnny's, of course) who want to blame their loss on someone other than their own inabilities. Don't let that happen to you. Have fun; officiate to the best of your ability; and let "kids" (no matter what their age), play the GAME.!

Jerry, the next time we umpire together remind me that I am the UIC because if both teams do not have any legal bats, we are not playing baseball that day. If you are the UIC, you will be umpiring the game by yourself, because I will not be party to a game where the UIC deliberately allows the game to be played with unsafe equipment.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio