Thread: Disconcerting
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Noah Webster Used To Live Right Down The Street From Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Has anyone ever heard of or called disconcertion on the opponent's bench?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I've heard of it, but it's not correct procedure. Disconcertion is defined in terms of 'opponents', which is a term not defined in rule 4; however, every usage in the rules makes it clear that the term refers to players on the floor, not bench personnel.
Sorry. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this "pardner". Opponents include bench personnel, including the coaches. I can't find any specific citation in regard to this, but I did find these references to "opponents" in the NFHS rulebook:

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors:
A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up.

NFHS Common Symptoms of Concussion Include: Unsure of game, score or opponent.

NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics: The coach shall not scout opponents by any means other than those adopted by the league and/or state high school athletic association.

The citations above are, granted, quite weak, and kind of lame. So let's go to the dictionary:

Opponent (Noun): a person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:46pm.