View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I think we're missing the point. The main question of this post is what should we do if a coach refuses to allow a player to shoot his second free throw for whatever reason, not what we would have done earlier in the sequence.

As we all know, by rule, unless the player is injured, he must make the attempt. Again, strictly by the rules, if the coach "stops the game" in this manner, it would be a forfeit.

Now, having said that, here's what I would do. I would tell the coach that, although I shared his disgust, the consequence of this particular action would result in a forfeit, and my suggestion would be to let him shoot the second shot, then take him out and do whatever you wanted to do to him (short of execution) after that. That way, I am not forced to declare a forfeit and the coach can still discipline the player.

And yeah, I think something should have been called earlier - at least a warning (unofficial) if nothing else.

Given a coach that was trying to do the right thing, I would certaily rattle my marbles to find some way to oblige him. I disagree that the only choice is let him shoot or forfeit.

If the coach wants him out that bad, you could agree with him, charge the flagrant T and give the other team the ball.

Also, you could advise the coach to have his team remain in the timeout huddle, administer the FT under the resuming play procedure by setting the ball on the FT line, and call a violation when it isn't taken within 10 seconds. If the shooter steps out there to take it...violation when he enters the circle.

We can certainly be creative enough to work with coach that is willing to give points and possesion to discipline bad behavior without going to a forfeit.