View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And I do get that having grew up in rural Illinois. People are usually very respectful and call people by their last name with Mr or Mrs in front. It is when I got to the suburbs or kids from the suburbs of Chicago you do not hear as much of those references. But even in my church I do not know many kids that do not call the adults the way I do. Then again as an official I cannot think of many that call me by first name. Not even college players do that. And I have gotten to the point where I introduce myself with my first and last name not Mr. But they better not call me Jeff. That is not going to be acceptable. Just like I do not refer to coaches by their first name either. I just feel how you talk to people shows a certain level of respect.

Peace
There are guys I play pick up ball with (I'm way older than most who I play with) who call me Mr. BNR or Sir when talking to me. It's all about how folks were raised. Somebody introducing themselves as 'John' instead of 'Mr. Doe' doesn't make me think are any nicer or approachable than anybody else I'm come across in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I'd rather have a kid call me by my first name to my face and respect me behind my back than a kid call me Mr. to my face and trash me behind my back.
Is that the only combination of events? What about kids who call you by your last name and respect you behind your back? Or kids who call you by your first name and trash you behind your back?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 02:55pm.