View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I agree it's cultural, and I'll add that while we introduce ourselves here by first name, I've never had a player address me by my name. It's always "ref" or "sir." I'm in a military town now, and the religious make-up would make some think we're in the south if it wasn't for the weather and scenery.

I was raised in a conservative small town in Iowa, and I always referred to adults outside of the school by their first name. I didn't respect them less, but that was our culture.

Our kids, however, always use Mr. or Mrs. (normally with a first name, but with some adults it's the last name.) This is something we picked up from our church in Des Moines, and the trend is even stronger here.
And I do get that having grew up in rural Illinois. People are usually very respectful and call people by their last name with Mr or Mrs in front. It is when I got to the suburbs or kids from the suburbs of Chicago you do not hear as much of those references. But even in my church I do not know many kids that do not call the adults the way I do. Then again as an official I cannot think of many that call me by first name. Not even college players do that. And I have gotten to the point where I introduce myself with my first and last name not Mr. But they better not call me Jeff. That is not going to be acceptable. Just like I do not refer to coaches by their first name either. I just feel how you talk to people shows a certain level of respect.

Peace