View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Slide = Not travelling

So had a MS game the other night. Partner called a travel on a player who slid about 5 feet after gaining possession of a loose ball on the floor. (He went to the floor first, then gained possession while still sliding.) My partner called a travel before he had even stopped sliding. I thought about saying something to him, but I did not. I was the T table side. I was near the coach of the team called for the travel. He and most of the gym was not happy about the call.

I had a feeling I was right about the "momentum" rule. (Just double checked my rule/case book) A player can recover the ball on the floor and allow his momentum to expire and not be called for a travel, but if he makes a second motion that is not a part of the initial slide, then it is a travel. (Sorry if the wording confuses some!)

What would you have done in this situation? I am one of the younger officials in my area but have been reffing for a few years now and this official is older than me, first time working with him, so I did not know how he would take me asking about the call.

Correct me if I am misinterpreting something here also.