View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:07pm
This IS My Social Life

Iditarod Trail Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I just found out a site listing for my Saturday games was erroneous. As it turns out, to get where we're going, my partner and I have an hour drive, plus a 20-minute (three mile) ferry ride to the island school. (There are three island high schools in Maine.) The school has my tickets waiting on the mainland.

This is a first for me, and I grew up in a little fishing village not far from these islands. Anyone else of shoreline locales get to do this?
The guy you gotta get with is ShishmarefRef, formerly a regular contributor on this forum, though absent this year. He did games for the schools in the Bering Strait School District which meant flying to all the games outside his community. Google that school district and you'll find it interesting all the places he had to go. His uncle, I think it was, was the famous Herbie Nayukpuk ("The Shishmaref Cannonball"), veteran Iditarod musher from a generation ago.