View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Look guys, I defend officials more than anyone.
Not here you don't. Much to the contrary.

Quote:
I just don't understand why the powers that be don't instruct them to call this rule as written.
Here's part of the issue. How in the world do you know what is or is not being instructed? STOP making assumptions regarding thoughts and acts of which you know nothing.

Quote:
If the ball is thrown away to save a sack it should be called.
Obviously.
Quote:
There is no tackle box and no requirement for a receiver in the area.
Obviously.

Quote:
7-5-2e stands on its own!

e. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time

I would just like to see it called this way or change the rule!
The error is in your interpretation. Unless you are psychic (maybe you are since you keep telling us what most people think)... you do NOT know the intent of the passer. All you have to go by is physical evidence. I know that I personally have called IG on a pass that did, in fact, go toward a receiver, and I know that my crew has called others. Why make that call? Because the QB was not trying to hit the receiver but rather just threw it somewhere, and a receiver happened to be there. However, in MOST cases, if there is a receiver in the direction the ball is thrown and the QB is looking in that direction, he is going to get the benefit of the doubt - simply because the official does not KNOW the intent of the QB. A QB that is running for his life is less accurate than one in the pocket. A QB that is in the process of going down is also less accurate than one who is not. Unless you KNOW the QB was not trying to complete the pass, you can't call him for IG.

If you can't understand this - and understand that this IS the way we are taught, then we can't help you.

West Houston Mike