View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Late and right is much better than quick and wrong. Patient whistles are fine.

I will second the other posters who said to let it go. I'm 3rd year so I sometimes let missed calls get to me still. While it's good to know what to work on, it's best to be relaxed, focused and confident. When you're on the court you and your partner are the rules experts, the one in the best position and the only ones without a vested interest in the game.

Some advice I learned here: "Be in the right place, look in the right place, call the obvious."
I missed a travel in my last game. Ball was out on the other side of the court just above the FT line extended. I was the trail. My eyes got over there late because I had some screening action I thought was more important at the moment. Player lifted the pivot foot before releasing the ball on the dribble. A pretty obvious travel, I'm guessing, although I didn't see the beginning, so I didn't put air into the whistle. I heard the coach and, for once, I think he was right.

I think it bothered me for about two seconds. Seriously. If it bothers me longer, it affects the next call or the next sequence. We *all* miss things. Let it go. Don't feel pressure to get the next one.