Thread: Flopping
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting

I had a very nice preseason scrimmage this year in my state between two teams that went a long way in the tournament last year. During the scrimmage I had brush contact by the driver and the defender fell back. As the ball went throught the hoop, I gave him the old "get up" sign, it was a lame attempt to draw a charge. If the defender had not fallen, there would be no call, and if there offensive player missed the shot, there would be no complaint either. However....

One of my partners after the scrimmage said the head of officials in my state said at the state meeting (which he didn't say on the on-line meeting BTW), "that if the defender falls, every time he wants a call made, either a block, charge, or T."

It's just another symptom of rules makers these days in my judgment. Everyone has to have 'my' judgment, call everything in a certain way, and be a clone with your signals. My view of how the play is means nothing. If they don't weant defenders trying to get charges, then make a rule saying 'every drive to the basket that has contract with the driver/shooter is a block.' End of problem.

So I guess right now, unless the kid is a total rock as he takes contact and is set up six steps from the driver, I'm just calling it a block. Rah.