View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by greymule
We've been discussing several plays that I thought I finally had straight but, after attending the New Jersey UIC meeting today, I can see that I was wrong.

I also asked about the change in 8-5-G concerning returning to touch a base after an award is made. They claim that if a runner misses a base and passes the next base, and then the ball goes into DBT, we say simply, "Dead ball." Then we wait a few seconds to see which way the runner goes. If he starts to return to touch the missed/left base, then we announce the award and let him return. If he starts to advance, we announce the award and, whether or not he returns to retouch, we uphold an appeal. I had thought that he forfeited his right to return only when he touched the next base after we made the award. They claimed they got their info directly from Merle Butler. (They did not say what to do if the runner just stands still and looks at you.)

Just like a no tag/no touch at the plate, the umpire should hesitate to see any player reaction just that this is during a dead ball period. If there is an indication the runner will return, you allow the return and then announce the award. If the runner seems satisfied where they are or begins to advance (assuming the award), announce the award. Once the award is announced and the runner touches the next base, that runner has now forfeited their right to return and retouch any base left too soon or missed.

On another matter, they say that the "do not pitch" sign does not mean time out in ASA (or OBR, but it does in Fed).

Can anyone add to or clarify any of this?

If you check ASA 10.8, you will see the desciptions of when an umpire may suspend play. Many of them are quite similar to those for which an umpire will "hold up play".