View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have been having a related discussion about whether a player can be ejected and called out for USC, so I gave the example of a runner who deliberately crashes a catcher who is in the way but not in possession of the ball. They said that the runner would indeed be called out. That was surprising to me, but they claimed it was a form of interference. I gave the play about the game-winning home run where the batter punches F3 on the way around, and they said allow the home run and then report the incident. At least until I get the e-mail, I'm confused.
The interpretation from ASA is that the USC supersedes the obstruction, as it's a more serious offense -- "flagrant misconduct" according to Case Book Play 10.8-1. So, if the USC occurs before the runner scoring then the runner is out, and of course ejected, and a dead ball is called. The CB cites Rules 10-8A, 10-1J[3], 10-1K. My understanding is that the only way the run would score is if the USC occurred after the runner touched the plate, then we would have a run, an ejection, and a dead ball.

[Edited by Tap on Mar 17th, 2003 at 06:07 AM]