Thread: Missed it
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If you didn't see the contact, and it didn't affect the play, I wouldn't call it. Double that if you would have to pull the call from your partner's area. Some plays, we have to trust our partner had a better look.

Contact may be contact regardless of effect, but effect normally determines whether it's a foul. Look at the definition of incidental contact.
There are exceptions to this, but that's why they are exceptions.

The human eye isn't quick enough to see a poke to the eye, but if one happens it's pretty obvious. I'm calling a foul. I've probably done this 5 times in the last 7-8 years and nobody's said a word about it.

In 2-person, I've had several times where players will come into my primary where I'm the lead and will go over a foot/leg. It's obvious that this has happened even though I didn't see leg clipping other leg. I'm not talking about someone going down on their own going around a corner sharply, either. This probably happens a handful of times a season and, again, calling that foul yielded the right results -- missing that foul would've yielded worse results.

Anyone who says they only *ever* call what they see and never guess, not even a little bit, is, IMO, being a little short of honest. I do my best on OOB calls, for example, but not every one of those on the end line is an obvious call because of the proximity and the speed of the ball going out. Sometimes the best thing you can give them is an educated guess.

That said, the OP's play is different. There's an official there, the ball's not in the OP's primary, and for all the OP knows, the primary saw the play and decided it wasn't a foul. That's different. Trust your partners unless there's an elephant on the court.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42am.