View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by insatty
Freix:

In the NAPBL Umpires Manual, the section on deflected balls into DBT (I think ยง 3.8 but I don't have it with me) suggests that the "impetus" of an errant throw does not change from the fielder who threw the ball to the fielder who deflected it into DBT unless the latter gains possession of the ball before deflecting it.

Thus, the impetus of the ball remained with the pitcher and does not change to the batter-runner in the hypothetical who deflects the ball without possessing it.

What do you think?
When considering a pitch or throw from the rubber, the concept of impetus is of importance in determining a 1 base vs. 2 base award.

With regards to a deflected batted ball or one thrown from other than the rubber going to DBT, the award will be 2 bases and the concept of gaining possession deals moreso in determining whether the award is based from TOP (batted ball) and TOT (thrown ball) vs. the actual time of incident (ball or fielder going to DBT). A fielder's momentum can also become an issue in determing from which point the 2 base award is based upon.

There are too many possibilities to discuss in a single post, but review of the NAPBL will aid anyone significantly. J/R does a more thorough job of addressing momentum.

Just my opinion,

Freix