View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=HLin NC;797636]There is no such foul in NFHS. Many coaches want "pushing the pile" called but unless the aiding player contacts the runner directly, its not going to be called.

SECTION 1 HELPING THE RUNNER
An offensive player shall not push, pull or lift the runner to assist his forward
progress.
PENALTY: Helping the runner (S44) – 5 yards.

That being said, we have no way of knowing what rule set your league uses, what modifications are being used, what you might have "misheard", what the official might have "misspoke".

Did you request a coach-referee conference to discuss the possible misapplication of a rule?

I completely agree with what you say regarding that the ref might have misspoke.. I know that he definitely told me it was illegal to pull on the pile...
Also this situation occurred at the expiration of the 1st quarter so I wasn't aware there was a penalty until after we had our kids ran back onto the field. I saw the officials in conference but thought they were just chatting because it was between quarters.. The penalty I believe was for unsportsman like conduct " pulling on the pile." I have never heard that penalty ever called in all my years of football. It's honestly my own fault for not challenging him and taking his explanation at face value. But now I know..