View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Deliberate lane violations on free throw?

Hey everyone,

This question is on the IAABO refresher exam:

"A-1 is fouled with 5 tenths of a second on the game clock and the score tied. A-1 makes the first of a one and one. Team B requests and is granted a time-out. Following the time-out team B places four players in the marked lane spaces. As A-1 releases the ball attempting to miss the free throw, all four players step into the lane committing a lane violation. A-1's attempt is unsuccessful. The official awards A-1 a substitute free throw. During the substitute free throw, team B again violates and A-1 deliberately misses the free throw. The referee notifies the team B coach that the next time his/her team commits a lane violation his/her team will be charged with a technical foul. Is the official correct?"

I am stumped because I cannot find any direct or even similar references to this situation in the rule or case book. The way I am interpreting this is that the first violation is treated as though it were accidental. Since all team members then stepped into the lane a second time, it could be interpreted as huddling and a warning is issued based on 4-47. If team B then were to step in and violate a third time, it would be a technical foul based on 10-1-5-d.

To answer the question, I would say YES the official is correct. I am not 100% sure though that this situation constitutes huddling.

Any thoughts, comments, discussion, and interpretations are welcome.

Thanks,
Brian