Thread: Legal Snap?
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Like Rogers Redding. He basically says slapping the snap is either encroachment or snap infraction, if the snap is slow enough to be slapped, it is not a legal snap.

Here is a play from Redding's NFHS Football Rules. "

Example 3-19 After the ready, all Team A players are set. As A53 snaps the ball, B72 reaches in and knocks the ball away. RULING: The umpire must decide whether the snap was illegal or B72 encroached.

It is highly unlikely the preceding example could occur without a foul. In practicality, for a defensive player to knock the ball away, either the snapper would have to hesitate after lifting the ball making the snap illegal and thus allowing the opponent enough time to touch the ball, or the Team B player would have to put his hand into the neutral zone before the snap."

psu I also posted this.

That is not just my interpretation. I also have talked with officials that work games every Friday and some that have even done State Finals, that do not agree with you.

Last edited by bigjohn; Thu Nov 03, 2011 at 09:22am.