View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

All points count equal mathematically speaking, but in terms of outcome in a close game, 2 points with 30 seconds left in the game mean a whole lot more than 2 points with 8:00 left in the 1st quarter.
[/B]
May I submit that the only reason those points mean more to you is your own stress level. Think about it.

At the beginning of the game your stress level is pretty low. You've got the whole game ahead of you with plenty of time to make up any ground on the other team. No players in foul trouble, plenty of fouls to give. Your have your full complement of coaching tools at your disposal.

Late in the game much different story. You stress level is pretty high. Your best shooter is in foul trouble. Your big player has got 4 fouls and their big player has two and is pretty hard to stop. Time is running out and your down by two.

I can't tell you how many games I've seen and been involved with where a team loses by 1 or 2 while going 5 for 25 from the line and it ends up being perceived by a coach/fans that the officials have "Cost them the Game" based on their end-of-game point of view. If they would have went 10 for 25 from the line instead they would have won regardless of when those points were scored.

The scoreboard knows NO stress level. It only knows points, regardless of when those points were scored.