Thread: Timeout
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike View Post
Appeal?
No. Protest, (like official), basketball players do not miss bases, leave early nor bat out of order. Say a shot carooms off the rim, straight up over the the top of the BB falling directly behind the rim, an offensive player catches it and lays in a nice reverse lay-in. I'm sure everyone agree that ruling is against the rules. If the crew say's it good, there is nothing in place to get this one right?
A coach can call a timeout for the purposes of a correctable error (merited free throws, unmerited free throws, wrong shooter, counting or not counting a score, or free throw at a wrong basket), a scorekeeping error (fouls/arrow/score), or a timing mistake. For some of these errors, they can only be corrected within a proper time frame. If the error isn't corrected, then the timeout is charged. If it is, then no timeout is charged. Besides that no, there is no protest like you're envisioning.

Quote:
No, it's not a POE, Players just watch the NBA and think they can walk all over the court. So we constantly have to call it.
I know you didn't say this, but just want to point out that there are plays that are legal by NBA rules, but illegal by NFHS and NCAA rules...and vice versa. Most people don't know this, and the average fan for sure doesn't know this.

Quote:
As for picking up the pivot foot, a player who lifts his pivot before releasing the dribble has traveled.

SLAS: This sounds nearly impossible, a 3-4 year old first trying to dribble perhaps. What about a lay-in? The pivot foot gets picked up there, drop step, step through. I think, the pivot foot can indeed be picked up, just not put back down, unless, the dribble is released.
Side question: What does release mean? Hit the floor or released from the hand/s?
Not really...I'd say the majority (in fact probably all since I can't really think of any other situation) of travel calls at the beginning of a dribble are because the pivot foot was lifted before the ball was released. You've seen this called many times in your life but probably didn't realize the reason. If the pivot foot is picked up, one must shoot or pass the ball before it returns to the ground. If you start a dribble, then one has traveled. Released means the ball has to be out of the hands before the pivot foot is moved. This rule is the same at all levels.

Quote:
As for your jump stop/step, if you jump off one foot, ypou must land simultaneously on both feet. Then, you CANNOT step with either foot.

SLAS: I can not fathom jumping off "one foot" to execute a jump stop. So where then?
I pick up my dribble as I launch off both feet, I land simultaneously, I then pivot on which ever foot I can to get some seperatation from the D. Decades, I've been employing and coaching this, I get called ever now and again, not sure but I'd guess less than 1% of the time.
There are two versions of the jump stop. The first kind, the one most used by players is when a dribble drives to the basket, jumps off of one foot, gathers (ends his dribble) the ball while in the air, and lands on two feet simultaneously. In this case, a player can pivot with either foot if he landed on both simultaneously.

The other kind of jump stop is when a player ends his dribble/gathers the ball with a foot on the floor, jumps off that foot, and lands with both feet...or ends the dribble while airborne, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot, and lands on both feet simultaneously (required). In this case, a player would not be able to pivot on either foot.

As described above, those are the rulings for NFHS and NCAA. For the NBA, the pivot foot is established slightly different so that in the first two examples, one could pivot while in the very last one, you couldn't.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 02:40am.