Thread: Timeout
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. They're wrong. But you have to deal with it.

2. Rec league, this may not be called much. It should, but you have to deal with it.

3. We'd have to see the plays, but it's possible they're calling it wrong. But you have to deal with it.

Appeal? Did that possession cost you the game? You just have to deal with it.
[
No timeout call:
1. We delt with it fine, not much too say when your slacked jawed and wondering how we're gonna pull this mess out (the game that is.) I'd prefer to deal with it by letting the Assoc. know they've got at least 3 guys believing this.

The lane violation:
2. I've seen it called plenty over the years, had one last night in fact, we're shooting, one of our guys leans in loses his balance and enters the lane, whistle, bad guys ball. I don't know ref assignments but I was standing just behind one of em near the table, I can't imagine how he didn't see it, the other ref FLE, the player walked between him and shooter. I watched it, my bench guys behind me saw it? I believe the crew either didn't see it or they didn't know it?
Either way, nothing wrong with communicating with the assoc., just in case.

The walks:
3. True.

Appeal?
No. Protest, (like official), basketball players do not miss bases, leave early nor bat out of order. Say a shot carooms off the rim, straight up over the the top of the BB falling directly behind the rim, an offensive player catches it and lays in a nice reverse lay-in. I'm sure everyone agree that ruling is against the rules. If the crew say's it good, there is nothing in place to get this one right?

Did it cost us the game?
If the timeout is granted; we've 20 or so ticks left, have the throw in on the base line, a bucket full of plays, 3 shooters, and two dunkers on the floor. As it turned out there up 2 with the throw in, we gotta foul em, they hit both ends now we're down 4. We gotta good look at a 3 missed, chased down a long bound and launched a prayer, the D did a nice job of staying away from us so as not to commit the 3 and 1 we were looking for.
But:
We were up 4 with at about 2:15-20, with the ball and in the bonus, we turned it over TWICE, then broke down and lost "both" there shooters and gave up two TRES, so my feeling, no, neither of these calls cost us the game.

Now all those phantom walks, that's a different story..kidding of course.

BBRef: I'll argue with ya about these statements: but again my books are in the mail, go easy on me.

No, it's not a POE, Players just watch the NBA and think they can walk all over the court. So we constantly have to call it.

SLAS: I Disagree: I haven't watched other than SC hi-lits since the PSD's (Post Sonic Days).
And when I did even as a young impressionable kid, the last thing I watched was the feet.

As for picking up the pivot foot, a player who lifts his pivot before releasing the dribble has traveled.

SLAS: This sounds nearly impossible, a 3-4 year old first trying to dribble perhaps. What about a lay-in? The pivot foot gets picked up there, drop step, step through. I think, the pivot foot can indeed be picked up, just not put back down, unless, the dribble is released.
Side question: What does release mean? Hit the floor or released from the hand/s?

As for your jump stop/step, if you jump off one foot, ypou must land simultaneously on both feet. Then, you CANNOT step with either foot.

SLAS: I can not fathom jumping off "one foot" to execute a jump stop. So where then?
I pick up my dribble as I launch off both feet, I land simultaneously, I then pivot on which ever foot I can to get some seperatation from the D. Decades, I've been employing and coaching this, I get called ever now and again, not sure but I'd guess less than 1% of the time.

Thank guys.