View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Not to put you on the spot, but I am sure there is more to this story. Can you elaborate all you know? Have you ever, at any point, had a UIC or your assignor have a conversation with you about your umpiring? If so, what was it concerning?

Do you know of the teams/level/association involved? How often have you done their games this past year? Have you had any issues in those games?

Have you had issues with partners?

Have you had issues with parents? How about a certain level? I know some guys that I've UIC'd for who are good umpires, but who have a quick temper and can not manage coaches or spectators - that is they will argue with all around.

I was umpiring in a tourney this year where the TD said that he didn't want a certain umpire to work the semis and finals because he had an issue with his game management. It was taking 3 hours and 15 minutes to play an untimed semi final because his strike zone was very inconsistent and he was out to prove a point to all involved that HE was in charge. The UIC of the tourney asked me to do the next game behind the plate and we moved him to third base for the finals. After the game he was told about his "attitude" and that he would be limited in his assignments if things didn't change.

I'm curious as to why you are completely unaware of any reason why this might be happening. Your UIC/assignor and association owe you some explanation. But, unfortunately, they do not owe you much else (meaning work).

I don't mean to sound like a hard a$$ here...but in order to get to the bottom of it, you have to start digging and finding out the problem so it can be rectified, whatever it may be.

On edit: Did you have any harsh words with your UIC or assignor? Did you turn back any games? Did you have limited availability when he needed you and now he's "taking it out on you?" Do you work for a competing organization and there's a conflict of interest?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 08:44pm.