View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Does the part in red also apply if player and team control has been established in the frontcourt, but the ball is deflected into the backcourt by a defender? Are we now saying that a new 10-second count doesn't start until player control is regained in the backcourt?
After reading that interp, I spent some time thinking about it. Sadly, the interp doesn't match up with the text of the rules book.
The interp tries to get around the issue by arguing that the team control takes place out of bounds, not in the frontcourt or the backcourt. However, once the ball touches a player or the floor in the backcourt, it gains backcourt status. So we do have team control and the ball in the backcourt. Per rule 9-8 that is all that is required and the count should start. There is no requirement that there actually be team control IN THE BACKCOURT. The interp from a couple of seasons ago made that very clear.
The NFHS kicked this one. They wanted way a 10-second count works to remain unchanged, but unfortunately they failed to craft a rule which allows that. So they issue another bogus interp which doesn't mesh with the text of the rules book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Or. . . they could've just added this one particular play to the definition of team control fouls.
I actually thought of an even simpler way of accomplishing what they desired. It doesn't involve changing a single definition of any kind.
My idea is to just alter the penalty section following 10-6. Item 1 lists five instances for which no free throws are awarded. They are labeled a through e. All the NFHS had to do was create an item f there.
The wording could have been "for any common foul during the time from the start of a throw-in until player control is established."

Yep, that's it. No changes to any rules or definitions. No complications with backcourt violations, three seconds, five seconds, or ten seconds. Just the elimination of FTs for fouls committed under those given circumstances. Why does the NFHS make this so hard?