View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
You sound like we're talking about having discussions on various rules... if that's what you thought I meant, I apologize. What I'm saying is adding a simple, "If you want to discuss a play, ask for time, wait for us to call time, and then approach the umpire that made the call. If that umpire feels we need to get together, we'll do so." That's not opening any doors or initiating any what-ifs. It's clear and concise, and A) makes us more approachable and less antagonistic and B) hopefully heads off the coach walking onto the field during live play and/or going to PU to ask for help on BU's call or vice versa. It also doesn't invite further conversation - we say that and move right into whatever's next.
I was talking about drawing a line as to how far some umpires may go. Not stating that this is the case here. Besides, a coach is going to come out and discuss issues with umpires anyway, it is their job. Wouldn't you think instructing someone and offering them permission of how to do their job could be taken as a bit demeaning. If I'm the coach and you gave me that little talk, probable reaction would be "no ****".

OTOH, I've seen umpires tell coaches and players they didn't want to talk to anyone but the HC and that is just as much a load of crap. The only time I would consider limiting discussion to the HC is if there were multiple issue or individuals questioning a play and that decision would made at that time, not beforehand.

Look, I just don't believe there is any value to extraneous instruction and many umpires don't stop at just reminding the coach how to approach an umpire.