View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Except by the two players immediately affected by your (non) call.
Sorry. I was a catcher and knew how to tag players when I didn't catch the pitch cleanly on a third strike - swinging or not. I could also see the big umpire standing there with just a turn of my head, as I got up to throw the ball - to third for the K, to the pitcher if men were on base or to first for the put out.

When I batted, I was aware of the D3K. I also could see the umpire, he was wearing the blue shirt four feet from me.

Quote:
Irrelevant. What they need to know is whether you judged the ball was caught or not caught.
Yes, they will know that by the lack of an out call. Sheesh.

Quote:
And there are plenty of upper level umpires who use and teach the verbal no-catch mechanic.
I'm sure there are. I also see some upper level umpires who call the fair foul caught by pointing foul and then signalling the out. I see many more who simply make the out call. One book says you should do it while other camps say not to. There are plenty of other examples. In the end, if you are just starting MiLB, follow JE. If not, do what you need to move the game along and get the job done. Please those who matter. I wish you well.