View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
others didn't make smart@$$ inferences like, "If you prefer calling "Strike three, batter out." go for it. Do you also alert the batter to a walk by saying, "Ball four, take your base."?"

Wow, you're thick. Did I say they did? Did I say I did? Good god.
Really. You said you like to call the out. Good for you. Others asked why you do that. After reading your smarta$$ comments on this forum, one would think you'd know better than to display thin skin.

Some seem to think that it is acceptable to alert the batter to a D3K. JE may teach it but plenty of the best umpires in the world ignore that advice and call it like I do. If your assignor/partner(s), league. association, team wants you to do it, go for it. I provided an example of a batter walking away after a hard swing, disgusted at the miss he is a step out of the box when you say, "No catch." The ball is on it's way to the backstop, the runner on third is coming home and the batter realizes he has another life, thanks to you. The run scores and he is safe. The defensive coach is now a foot from your face wanting to know why you prompted him. Be sure to have the JE book there to show him.

Meanwhile, on my field, the same thing happens and I have an out once Junior strides away from the dish. I don't feel the need to coach. The offensive coach will be pissed - at his player, for forgetting what to do.