Thread: Did I kick it ?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

ASA SP Runners on first and second, no outs. I am PU working w/ a partner.

Batter hit a long drive to LF. As I'm moving up the third base line, I have R1 in my vision. F7 makes an outstanding catch, back to home plate, like a wide receiver in football. I signaled and verbalized "out". R1, apparently thinking there was no chance for a catch has now rounded third. He basically gave up and did not try to return to second base.

As the ball is coming in from F7 to second base, I see R2 had just pulled up on the base. Partner is outside the baseline and now trailing R2. The infielder gets the ball and steps on second base. I called out to retire R1 on the live ball appeal. Not sure if partner also called out.

Now there is some confusion about R1 on second base. No one tagged him with the ball but F4 ran over to 1B and stepped on the base. I'm looking at my partner, and he's got nothing. We got together to discuss and I asked if he saw R1 tag up. He did not. We ended up calling R1 out for an obviously controversial triple play. Runner was not happy, claiming he did tag.

After the game, partner and I discussed. He said he had the tag at second. I asked, well, then who is supposed to take the tag at first? I think at that point he realized he messed up. We sometimes game plan that in a similar situation with the ball being hit to RF, that the BU will take the tag on the runner at second, while PU takes the tag at first given field of vision.

So a couple of things. I can't fault my partner for "getting inside" on this play. The ball off the bat to the catch was maybe 3-4 seconds. He still should have been checking the runner at first.

I usually go by the axiom of if you don't see an out, don't call an out. This case, we didn't see a tag up, and as a result, called an out.

How would others have handled this one?

Thanx.