Thread: Bunt attempt
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No I don't. I've had players who don't want to walk just swing the bat when the ball isn't in the area. The definition requires a strike be called if the batter swings and missed a pitch. If there is no pitch to hit, how can it be a strike?

Hmmmmmm.....
What do you mean "ball isn't in area"? No pitch thrown? Then OK.
But an attempt to stop a swing can certainly have the bat and ball in different areas and still be a swinging strike.
Likewise a batter can deliberately swing and miss a pitch for an intentional strike. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Then again there is also the point that a pitch which hits a bat behind the batters head (still on the shoulder) makes a very good bunt, but it is not a strike if the pitched ball passes near the bat. Why, because the batter wasn't trying to strike the ball which, IMO, is the basis of any pitched ball being called a strike.

There is no logical reason to eliminate that requirement.
If ball strikes (pun intended) bat while still on B's shoulder, it might have the same effect as if the ball was bunted, but how can that be considered a bunt?

If B, with 2 strikes, has bat on shoulder, and ball strikes bat and becomes foul, you wouldn't have dead ball strike 3 as you would if it were a bunt attempt, would you?

I am wondering if we are talking about the same thing here.