View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Then, what's this?
I am sure you could find one, but show me a major forum dedicated to sports that talks extensively about Tennis.

Quote:
It's a big world out there, Rut. The later rounds of the U.S. Open, Wimbledon, and French Open are still picked up by either NBC or CBS. Someone in America must be watching.
I can make a case that someone watches the LPGA too, but that does not mean it comes with the same ratings or following in this country as the NBA Finals or an NFL Sunday Night Football Game.

Quote:
Anyway, Bob wondered aloud what we can learn from this. I've learned that we have it easy, compared to some officials. Most of us wouldn't tolerate this kind of talk from athletes toward us, and we'd handle it immediately. Certainly, though, it's a different world. We get paid significantly less than this official, whose payment is partially dependent upon the television ratings her tournament receives.
We can debate all day what should be allowed, but this is Tennis, not the same as a basketball official or the situations we are put in. There would not be that much dialog anyway with a player even if we tried. Not sure why we are even talking about this in the context of other sports?

Quote:
Should it matter, though? Shouldn't name-calling like this toward an official always be immediately punishable within the contest? This official did nothing to squash Serena's sililoquy. Should she have taken a firmer stance?
This is a country club sport. People get upset when Tiger curses on the golf course.

Peace