Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Then, what's this?
I am sure you could find one, but show me a major forum dedicated to sports that talks extensively about Tennis.

Quote:
It's a big world out there, Rut. The later rounds of the U.S. Open, Wimbledon, and French Open are still picked up by either NBC or CBS. Someone in America must be watching.
I can make a case that someone watches the LPGA too, but that does not mean it comes with the same ratings or following in this country as the NBA Finals or an NFL Sunday Night Football Game.

Quote:
Anyway, Bob wondered aloud what we can learn from this. I've learned that we have it easy, compared to some officials. Most of us wouldn't tolerate this kind of talk from athletes toward us, and we'd handle it immediately. Certainly, though, it's a different world. We get paid significantly less than this official, whose payment is partially dependent upon the television ratings her tournament receives.
We can debate all day what should be allowed, but this is Tennis, not the same as a basketball official or the situations we are put in. There would not be that much dialog anyway with a player even if we tried. Not sure why we are even talking about this in the context of other sports?

Quote:
Should it matter, though? Shouldn't name-calling like this toward an official always be immediately punishable within the contest? This official did nothing to squash Serena's sililoquy. Should she have taken a firmer stance?
This is a country club sport. People get upset when Tiger curses on the golf course.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Wasnt' Borg known for his stoic nature on the court? I don't remember him ever throwing a tantrum. Also, professional sports, expecially an idividual sport like tennis, is all about the players. That's where the money is. Obviously they'll get away with much more.
He may not have been like McEnroe or Connors, but he had his moments when he did not like a call. I have seen tape on him and I remember him playing. He was not an angel, he just was not as much of a devil as others.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No such animal, boss. Not in this realm. (That's why I prefixed the topic with "OT.")
Then the other option involves the four initials S, T, F, U.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:28am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
(Borg) may not have been like McEnroe or Connors, but he had his moments when he did not like a call. I have seen tape on him and I remember him playing. He was not an angel, he just was not as much of a devil as others.
True. I seem to recall Borg losing a game by protesting silently, refusing to serve, just staring blankly. Warning, point lost, point lost, game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We can debate all day what should be allowed, but this is Tennis, not the same as a basketball official or the situations we are put in.
Also true. Intermission or time-out discussions of this length just don't happen. My point is this: Some things are universal, and name-calling from contender to official is one of them. It's about respect for the position. It should be dealt with swiftly, and I don't see why it matters what sport and/or what level it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Then the other option involves the four initials S, T, F, U.
Classy, sir.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Also true. Intermission or time-out discussions of this length just don't happen. My point is this: Some things are universal, and name-calling from contender to official is one of them. It's about respect for the position. It should be dealt with swiftly, and I don't see why it matters what sport and/or what level it is.
Not sure what the penalties or recourse are for the official. Also this is about context, how often does this take place but we only care because she is probably the best in the game?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 03:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
There, all better now........

Serena Williams tweets mea culpa

Mega sincere!