View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, here's my take.

Part 1
1) If he is obviously faking, and I mean I'm 100% sure he's not hurt, then I tell him to suck it up and he stays in to shoot. This would basically require him to be laughing while telling me he's hurt, or I would have to hear a teammate tell him to fall down or something. If I am not 100% sure that he's faking, then he subs out and I write an incident report.

2) He takes off the necklace and shoots. There is no way to give a T for this.

Part 2
Game's over. Nothing you can do. Fed 10-3-2 PENALTY specifically states that this can only be penalized while it is being violated. Once the FTs are completed and the teams have left the floor, there's nothing that can be done. EXCEPT. . . you string up the scorer and write an incident report.

Interestingly, NCAA rules do not have the stipulation that it can only be penalized while being violated. I'm not sure how it would be handled at that level. Maybe they'd do it the way JR describes.

Part 3
Since the scenario is that this is the end of the game. . . unless the score is tied as a result of the FTs, the game is over and no substitutions can be made. This is irrelevant, however, since 10-3-2 is no longer being violated. So the coach no longer needs to "cover himself".

If, however, the score is tied at the end of regulation, or if there is another period to follow (maybe the 4th quarter), then the answer is yes, the coach may sub out the player that just shot the FTs and he would be "covered", as you put it. It would no longer be punishable.

Chuck