View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to disagree with those stating to blow the whistle. This is where having a pre-match discussion comes in handy. If your R1 has asked you to blow your whistle on said instances, then by all means, go ahead, but from the sound of things, this wasn't discussed.

As the R2, you can only do so much to protect your partner until eventually, they have to fly on their own without your help. Perhaps everyone in the gym, including yourself was in the worst position to see it, and the R1 ultimately did not see, does not agree with the four contacts.

Now you've blown your whistle, your R1 is confused as to why, so now you have to explain it to the R1 and the coaches, delay the match, and you not only undermine your R1's credibility in front of everyone, but if she ultimately disagrees and decides to reject your 4th call, now you both look incompetent. Blowing your whistle, unless specifically authorized to is a big no no.

Here's what I would've done:

- Stepped to the fault side with 4
- After the R1 does not recognize me, make my view and presence more known (without drawing attention to myself) by stepping out a little bit and NOT moving, eyes focused on her with attentiveness (O_O expression) with the "4" symbol still in place on the chest. Wait until the rally ended for the R1 to refocus on me prior to awarding the point. There's a difference from an R1 not noticing you, and and R1 who chooses not to notice you. If she sees you and does not call it and continues to follow the rally along its progress, DROP the 4 call. However, if she still hasn't made eye contact, noticed you, remain standing there (DON'T MOVE) until either she does herself, or when the rally comes to end when she centers back on you.
- Now she sees me standing there giving her 4 contact information
- If she rejects it SHE has to eat it, not you as the R2 (there are some things you can take the heat for, and some you can't)
- If she wants to know more, she'll invite me across to explain it to which she'll either reject or accept.

Communication to the coaches:

As the R2, I've been trained to speak as little words to the coach as possible (10 words or less usually). That being said my communication to the coaches would've been as follows. This is a good tip to keep yourself out of the call (if it goes wrong; rejection) and to keep yourself from babbling on your explanation to the coaches (who are heated now).

If the call was accepted:

- I had 4 contacts and the R1 confirmed the same thing (especially since you as the R2 are adamant that this happened, you BETTER be ready to explain it to the dogs on your side, otherwise, they will rip you a new one).

If the call was rejected:

- The R1 had only 3 contacts from her view (keeps you out of it, especially if you've attempted to reason with the R1) without lying and providing more information than necessary. Most coaches can't comeback from that. The one's that can may come back with "BUT YOU SAW IT, DIDN'T YOU?" This is where your partner eats the call because the decision ultimately relied on her. All you have to do is say it again "Coach, the R1 had only 3 contacts from her view."

Coaches, and players the like, need to then move on and accept the decision. It's unsportsmanlike to show disgust with an official's call, so if the questioning continues, it's a simple, "Coach, we need to move on."

Though I do agree against the dreaded replay, I strongly disagree with the "blow your whistle and make the call yourself" note, as that opens up an entire can of mess, that you now have to prepare to eat in front of everyone in the gym.

Last edited by Antonio.King; Sun Sep 11, 2011 at 03:05am.