View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
I believe it is a judgement call.

My question remains this. WHEN DOES AN ELIGIBLE RECEIVER STOP BEING A POTENTIAL BLOCKER?

I agree that the rules list what is not allowed. They certainly disallow contact on an eligible receiver who is no longer a potential blocker. A back, behind the LOS is definitely an eligible receiver, so when is he not a potential blocker?

To me if the rules intended what some say then they would simply state that you cannot contact an eligible receiver beyond the LOS who is not an eligible receiver.
DPI is possible only for passes beyond the NZ (7-5-7). Therefore, by rule, contact with an eligible receiver is permitted when the pass does not cross the NZ. This is NOT a judgment call (whether the ball crosses the NZ is, of course, but that is a different call).

Regarding your question: an eligible receiver beyond the NZ is no longer a potential blocker when he runs away from a defender, or past him, or stops, or otherwise demonstrates that he is not going to block that defender (9.2.3A). THAT is indeed a judgment call. But it's not relevant to your original question.

As you point out: the rules disallow contact with an eligible receiver who is no longer a potential blocker. But everyone behind the NZ is a potential blocker: that's why it's legal to contact them there, regardless of eligibility.