Thread: One Last Play
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:07pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I like to be a few steps behind the deepest in bounds matchup (when possible). I understand about opening up to the court, but I also want to put myself in the best position possible to see plays like this in its entirety & also to referee the quck steal. I've found that positioning myself to be one play ahead of the throw-in results in getting unexpected plays correct.
IMO if a steal occured in this play the T (new L) is already beat.
Understood, got it, I agree. Now, how far would you go with this? To me, this is one of those "It depends" situations (not the adult diapers either). Yes, it is a good idea to be behind the deepest players, but are you going to "bounce" the ball 20 feet from the inbounder?

I don't have any set distance, but there is a point where I will open up instead of moving back. I don't think the official in the video is too far from where he should be. I could tell he was relatively inexperienced when watching the video, but he is doing OK for someone in their first year.