Thread: Violation?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Having read this whole post I will ask a variation and also provide my insight.

??? What would we do if we are administering a spot throwin and the thrower looses (fumbles the ball) and it does not roll on to the court?? Is it a violation or does the 5 count continue allowing that player to recover the ball and returns to the throwin spot to complete the throwin.

On the above variation, once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower I would allow them to make the throwin anywhere between the intersection of the sidelines. If they would fumble the ball putside of the sidelines extended, I would allow them to return inside but call a violation if the throw came from outside the sideline extended. My thinking is this, this could create an advantage for the thrower as the defense is very unlikely to follow the thrower to defend the throwin. I would apply this only to a fumble by a single throwin player, not a pass to another OOB. If the pass is fumbled missed by the other OOB teammate, I would allow only that teammate to recover the ball beyond the sideline and return it themself to between the sidelines extended otherwise we would have a violation as an advantage could be gained. I don't have rule books to back them with (am working on the spring season now) but this is my two sense....