View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Seriously, let it go. Expected calls are fading from professional, collegiate and some high school umpiring. Your contention that it isn't is similar to the arguments about 'Get it Right' a decade or so ago. Many people refused to believe that umpires would ever change a call after conferring with each other let alone see such meetings be mandated. Let it go.

I read Weber's book a while ago. It is a fun read and he paints images that are enjoyable to those of us who enjoy umpiring. It's funny that you didn't mention the excerpt about Tim McClelland. Weber recalls the 2007 N.L. wildcard game between Rockies and Padres. McClelland, in the 13th inning called Matt Holliday safe on a super close play at the dish. Replays showed that he never reached the plate. McClelland later said, “I can’t beat myself up. I saw what I saw and I called what I saw.” Nothing expected about it, just like the play involving DiMuro, he called what he saw because that is what we are supposed to do. Call what we see, not what someone expects.
You're telling me I should let it go? This from a guy who has posted as many posts as I have on the topic (including 4 in the past day alone). If you're tired of the topic, don't click on the thread.

Look, I'm just saying that other well known umpires (Tom Hallion) recognize that there is more to umpiring than just "getting it right". As Hallion says, "That's where experience comes in".