View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Because we don't know what to teach our kids anymore these days.
I don't think that is true. IMO, it isn't that the parents don't know, it is that many don't want to. Just like getting them to wear face masks on batting helmets or on the field. As long as they can dump responsibility on someone else and maintain the "I'm your friend" facade.

Quote:

We tell them we want them to be good, hard workers and to dream big, but there are some parents out there who are actively working to abolish homework.

We want every kid to be doctors, lawyers, etc., but we tell them that their incorrect and mediocre schoolwork is "good enough."
Even at the college level and that is depressing.

Quote:
We want every kid to be a winner, so we no longer keep score in an attempt to prevent kids from being "losers." And don't fool yourself, the kids are keeping score. We're teaching them to add. Sort of.
And how do they handle failure or disappointment? Sometimes I have to wonder if that may not have an effect on youth and young adults who give up and turn to suicide as an alternative.

Quote:
We teach them to learn about every other culture and religion in the world, but that one Christmas tree in front of a town hall is somehow going to be the ruin of the whole town (and I'm an atheist, by the way).
Here is that "perception" word again. The word "church" doesn't appear in the constitution and the word "religion" only appears once as it pertains to the government not establishing one and insuring the freedom to express one's belief.

Quote:
We no longer spank our children when they misbehave, and instead tell 2-year olds to sit in a corner for 5 minutes to "think about their actions."

We say we want our kids to be strong, but in reality, we teach them to be cowards.
You are really working hard to get on my good side, aren't you

Quote:
When I grew up, you listened to your elders. You respected your neighbors and ran to their house if you were in trouble. You said "yes, sir" or "yes ma'am" to a policeman/policewoman, and if my parents got a phone call home from the teacher, guess what. I got a spanking.

I'm thankful for the way I was raised. I respect my bosses, I respect others around me, and it's done me a world of good.

We're raising a generation of effing sissies.

(I wanted to use another word, but I respect the language rules here)
And it starts at the big building in DC and I'm not talking about the one across from Lafayette Square.