Thread: Obs/int
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
just read the OBS thread and thought id ask how others would handle this situation

what happens if 2 umpires call out 2 opposing calls on the same play and both are adamant they are right?

inspired by this situation runner on 1st, groundball to the 2nd baseman. she charges the ball and stops in the middle of the basepath, as shes bending over, the runners arm makes contact with the fielders glove. im PU and i see the BU not call anything right away so i jump in and call INT. after the game, my partner was pretty adamant that i missed the call, and it was OBS. his thought was the fielder intentionally got in the way of the runner...... i told him i could see that point of view if the fielder has to subsequently move to the side to field the ball after the contact but when she doesnt move an inch, in any direction, after the contact, to field the ball, there is no way you can call OBS.
The defender is allowed to set up anywhere, even intentionally in the basepath as long as that is where they can field the ball