View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 24, 2000, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
BktBallRef,
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with ya. Just because each coach "thought he was going to get a call", should not be a factor here. The play left the trail official's area and he stayed with it. He made a tough (player control) call that should have stood. The lead's view was blocked and he didn't see the arm. End of story. Once Rutledge communicated that to him, his call (the block) was not a factor.
Then I guess we just disagree. Rut said, "My partner did not see the arm and called a block at practically the same time." That implies to me that the calls were simultaneous. Did both players foul? Sure sounds like it. Even if the defender didn't have a guarded position and blocks, the offensive player can't push him off. There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling a double foul in this sitch.

I again refer to the MSU-ISU game. In that game, we had a block-charge call. On that one, obviously somebody missed it. But in this play, both players committed fouls. I think you make it even worse by trying to cancel one.