View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/04/sp...ts/04ROUT.html

I have enclosed some excepts for those who have not signed up for the times (free, and excellent reading)

Michigan and Missouri officials petitioned the National Federation of State High School Associations, the powerful rule-making body for 16 boys' and girls' sports at more than 17,000 high schools, to make the running game clock permanent in the states that desired to do so. The clock would no longer stop once a team went ahead by 40 points.

The federation's rules committee approved the proposal, but the board of directors rejected it. Mary Struckhoff, assistant director of the federation, said the board wanted to consider applying the rule nationally, and not solely on a state-by-state basis, as Michigan and Missouri had desired. The board will discuss the proposal again at its annual meeting in Indianapolis next month.

"I am very concerned about these blowout games, because I think they are increasing in number and getting worse," said John Johnson, communications director for the Michigan High School Athletic Association. "The purpose of school sports is to educate kids. That's what makes us different from colleges and the pros. There is nothing to be learned in these blowout games. No one should be embarrassed in high school."