View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Are we talking deep personal views?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

The Department of Defense website that Dan referenced shows that the branch with the highest percentage of African-Americans is the Army, with 23.0%. The Marines are the lowest, with 12.8%. The Air Force and the Navy are both right around 20%. What report did you read? Where can I get it?
Beyond that, when you look at those fields who are most likely to be killed or wounded in combat, African-Americans make up a decidedly smaller percentage of the forces. From what I've seen, that percentage is far more commisserate with their overall representation in the population at large.
I would like to know why you see this as a problem, especially in a volunteer military (as opposed to forced service with its inevitable loopholes). Frankly, I've found the diversity to be one of the more refreshing aspects of my military service.

As for what percentage of people joined for the military benefits: I don't know. It could be over 50%. It could be 10%. Given that well over 50% of the military (Active, Reserve, and Guard) that I've been in contact with are beyond their initial enlistment, I can only assume they are in for reasons other than the GI Bill.
The point about Yankee Stadium is valid, if comic. The burden is on you to show why "most" of those in the military joined for school.
BTW, I'd say virtually none of them joined to go to war. They joined to serve their country in a very meaningful and real way. Many did so with the nice GI Bill incentive, but to suggest that was their sole reason for entering is quite a stretch.

Peace (even if it means war first)

Adam

The problem what I have with your agrument, you come down to what the essence of what I am saying and have absolutely no way of confirming or denying my claim. You say you do not know, then say I am wrong and you "do not know." Then you say, "it could be 10% or it could be 50%." Then you say, "They joined to serve their country in a very meaningful and real way." You have statisical evidence for this claim? So you can say with a straight face, they joined the military for reasons to serve this country in a meaningful and real way? Why can they not join the military because they had very little options? Why could they have not joined the military because their parents were about to throw them out of the house? Please tell me, I would really like to know.

Peace