View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Two years ago, Mark, Jr., and I were umpiring a boys' 12U game (80 ft bases) that played under OBR. Junior was the PU and I was the BU. The Batter hit a line shot back to the Pitcher that hit him on his forehead bounced into foul territory between HP and 3B on the fly. F1 hit the ground before the ball hit the ground in foul territory. We both called Time simultaneously and awarded all of the Runners one base. IMHO it really doesn't matter what age the players are, in this type play, play should be stopped immediately.

MTD, Sr.
By the replay, he was struck at :09, batter reached first at :13 and a trainer was at his side at :19, ten seconds after he went down. It's hard to see how they could have gotten there quicker. If his larynx was crushed and he needed an emergency tracheostomy, it probably would have been done more quickly there than on any Little League field. I agree with your comment in principle, and most certainly at amateur levels. It is just hard to see how it would help much at the MLB level. In this case, it might have gained 3 or 4 seconds. BU the EMT personnel are at least 5 to 10 minutes closer.