View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Are we talking deep personal views?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Okay, JRutledge, you've made two claims here that need to be addressed.
First of all, you claimed that "most" people in the military are there for school benefits (GI Bill). You have no basis to make that claim. The fact that someone uses the GI Bill IN NO WAY means they joined the military solely for that purpose. The only way you could possibly make this claim is if you did a statistically accurate survey that asked these people their reasons for joining the military. I've known many in the military (throughout my career) who joined for various non-school reasons, and ended up using the GI Bill. People use the program because it's there. Also, I'm relatively positive that more than 50% of the people in the military are beyond their first enlistment. Anyone who reelists must, in my opinion, be there for reasons other than the GI Bill, because they are actually postponing its use.
Are there people who join for that purpose? Sure. Probably a high percentage, but to make the claim that more than 50% did so is not at supportable.
Secondly, you claimed that "over 30% of the military is African-American alone." This is simply not true. Every statistic I've seen places that figure around 20%, not 30%. I'm trying to find more sources than just CBSnews.com, but can't find much right now.

SNAQWELLS

I just read a report that 34% of the United States Armed Forces was African-American. Even if it is 20%, that is way above the percentage of African-Americans in the larger society which is around 12%. To me personally, that is a problem on many levels.

Again, if you think it is not above 50%, then show me the percentage that is not. I have seen and read reports that most of the military uses education services. And if you think every joined the military to serve the country for the same reasons you think they did, I will always take issue with that. Everyone does not view this current war or the reasons for what happen on 9-11-01 the same. They just don't.

Peace