View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: USSSA obstruction

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap

This USSSA rule is problematic for several reasons, not the least of which is the curious "ball in flight" part (it must be that this is necessary but not sufficient to avoid an obstruction call, as there clearly could be obstruction on a long throw from the OF even after it's been released; not that ASA's "about to recive the ball" is ultra clear either, but at the ASA National School we were given one yard as a reference point -- the ASA rule book's statement about the ball needing to be between the runner and fielder is not especially useful, especially if the runner and ball are not coming from the same direction; bottom line, that's a judgment call in any association and if the runner is clearly ahead of the ball by more than a yard the fielder cannot impede the runner's progress).

[Edited by Tap on Mar 2nd, 2003 at 07:16 PM]
Tap,

This sounds more like a baseball rule than softball. The only problem I have on a close one is if the umpire is watching the obstruction, how do they know the ball was or wasn't in flight unless it is in direct line with their view of the runner?

BTW, I've never had a problem with the "about to receive the ball" or "ball between the runner and fielder" statements. I admit the wording can be confusing if taken in a literal sense, but you need to look at it in an absolute sense. Anytime a thrown ball gets to the defender before the runner, you cannot have obstruction. If the runner gets there first, 99% of the time, obstruction is the call. I think people try to read too much into the wording.