View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevbrown View Post
FYI pdm54 I had this happen to me earlier in the year and I called it wrong. AFter looking at the rule book that evening, I found this is one of those rules that are different between baseball and softball. In baseball the runner is NOT protected by the base, but in softball they are protected while on the base.

A further question this brings up....

R1 ar 2nd, R2 and 1st. Batter hits a ground ball past the pitcher and hits R1 while standing on 2nd. The umpire feels the SS was moving behind 2nd base to make a play and still had the oppurtunity to make a play.

Per ASA 8.1.E.6 the runner is not out. Also, the ball is dead since the runner was in front of an infielder who still had a play on the ball.
No, that isn't the deciding factor. RS #44 clearly notes that live or dead ball depends on whether the closest defender (pitcher is not excluded) to the base, not necessarily one making or having a play available.

Quote:
The question is what do you do with the batter and the 2 base runners? I do not see this explained in the ASA rules.

Personally, I would give the batter 1st, and move the base runners to 2nd and 3rd becasue they are forced. Is that correct?
Yes. That is also in RS #44.