View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

For the record, I don't think Meals' call was the "Worst call in MLB history" as the fanboys keep saying, or even a bad call at that. Was it missed? Maybe, but in real time I can see how he didn't see a tag. As others have said, replay would probably show this as inconclusive.

As far as IR goes in MLB, I don't like it. I'm okay with it being used for boundary and fair/foul calls on home runs like it is now, but it just muddies things up otherwise. You can't change foul balls to fair, you can't change a catch to a no-catch with runners on base, etc. If MLB is going to implement replay for this stuff, the NFL might as well review every penalty, and the NBA better review every close foul (block/charge plays maybe) as well, because that is essentially what these people pushing for replay want on the baseball side.

Something the umpires also better push for is an ejection if the manager loses the challenge. You get one challenge per game. If you win the challenge, no more for the game. If you lose it, you are dumped.

These people that keep talking about how bad the umpiring has gotten are incredible stupid. Umpires have missed calls for 100+ years and the game is doing fine. HDTV and multiple camera angles are the only thing that have changed how umpires work. (As others have said in this thread)