View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I do not think signalling nothing was correct. I think he should have signalled "safe". I also think that *if* F3's actions were an appeal, he should have had an out then.

So, it's possible that he did it correctly (either the process has changed *or* what I (and others) read in MLBUM somehow doesn't apply -- and it has to do with some timing issue), or it's possible that he did it incorrectly. Some would say that given the umpire involved, one of those is more likley than the other.

Unless MLB comes out with something, or until another (nearly) identical play happens, we probably won't know.
Your last sentence is so true, and actually a bit of a shame. I fully understand why umpires don't want to be quizzed on their calls, but it would certainly be helpful. With all the games being televised with high scrutiny replay, MLB needs to understand, as you said, that some of these strange calls set a precedent. I don't think it would hurt for ESPN to have the chance to interview an umpire supervisor to ask some of these questions. Otherwise it is just high priests and tabernacles and secret knowledge.