View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Obstruction is a delayed dead ball. The DDB signal is used by extending your left arm straight out to the side with a closed fist.

I teach that the verbal is optional, but if you choose to use a verbal, it should be said in a normal voice so that any players in the immediate area can hear you, not to use a loud voice to call OBSTRUCTION, THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!. Usually, when an umpire starts yelling out a call, players tend to stop playing, especially at the 12u level. The DDB requires that we let the play complete, then make a ruling, if needed.
I think MrRabbit got that part; what I get from his question is that the runner was not put out, nor reached the base safely. So, he questions why a dead ball as a result of the obstruction.

What I get from the OP isn't that the dead ball resulted from the obstruction, but that the umpire killed the play due to the collision, and concern for the safety of the players (ASA 10.4-G). So, nothing changed from proper mechanics; but you HTBT to judge for yourself if the dead ball was necessary.

In championship play (and in the older ages, mind you), the literal interpretation of 10.4-G ("requires immediate attention") is less involved in if Suzy is hurt than if Suzy's injury will be worse if ignored for just a few more seconds while the play plays out. At 12U and not a National, I tend to support the former more than the latter.

Edit to add:

As to other rule sets, I would disagree with calling "Time" in NCAA, ISF, and NFHS in this play, as I would in ASA championship play; the verbiage used in those rule sets spell out more clearly that the play must remain live unless greater injury would result from continuing play. I would claim zero knowledge about U-trip.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57am.